1824--Birth of Fr. Leopold Moczygemba—in Gross Pluschnitz, Schlesien (Silesia), Kingdom of Prussia.
1847--Fr. Leopold Moczygemba was ordained a Franciscan priest.
1852--Fr. Leopold Moczygemba accepted an invitation from Bishop Odin (the first bishop of Galveston—covering all of Texas) to serve the German-speaking immigrants in Texas.
1854--Responding to an invitation from Fr. Leopold Moczygemba, many left their various villages and towns in Upper Silesia for new lives in Texas. They established the community of Panna Maria.
1855--One group broke away from the Panna Maria settlement and relocated to Bandera.
1858--Bishop Odin purchased land for a church for the Silesian immigrants and other Catholics in the area; the property cost $1.00. A 20 ft. x 30 ft. log structure was built to use as a church.
1874--A stone convent was built to house the Blue Veil Sisters who taught the children of St. Stanislaus Church. For a time, the building was used as both a convent and a school.
1876-1877--The present church was built. Native limestone quarried from nearby locations was brought to the site by horse and wagon. Succeeding years brought various improvements and additions.
1882--The Sisters of the Incarnate Word replaced the Blue Veil Sisters for a short time.
1882--A structure of wood was erected for the school children of St. Stanislaus parish.
1897--The Sisters of the Incarnate Word returned.
1897--A stone rectory was built on Cypress St., across from the back of the church. For some years, it was rented out or used for C.C.D. classes.
1906--The steeple was completed.
1921--A second floor was added to the convent to provide more living space for the Incarnate Word Sisters.
1924--A two-story limestone school was completed to replace the wooden school building, which became known as St. Joseph’s School.
1940s--Funds were raised for some of the stained glass windows.
1963--An updated convent was constructed next to St. Joseph’s school.
1968--The Sisters of the Incarnate Word completed their time as teachers for children of the St. Stanislaus Parish, and St. Joseph’s School was closed.
1970-1971--The new convent was converted into a rectory. At some point, it began to serve as both a Parish Office and rectory.
1972-1974--St. Joseph’s School was used as a school by the Bandera Independent School District.
1978--The Bandera Electric Cooperative occupied St. Joseph’s School, due to a flood that damaged their offices.
1982--The St. Joseph’s School building was remodeled inside by volunteers. This historic building, now known as St. Joseph Parish Hall, is presently used for meetings, choir practice, Youth Group activities, Catechism classes, and the St. Vincent de Paul ministry.
1988--The steel steeple and cross replaced the 1906 steeple.
1990--Six stained glass windows were added.
2002-2008--A large-scale renovation project for the church took place; the exterior grout was replaced, the pews were refurbished, a tile floor was put in, and the various murals and designs were painted.
2008--The limestone rectory/rental property on Cypress St. was renovated and once again used as a rectory.
2015--The treasured memorabilia from the early Silesian settlers of the parish were transferred from the Old Convent Museum and put on display in St. Joseph’s Parish Hall.
2016-2107--The interior of the Old Convent and School/Museum was redesigned, and then dedicated as an Adoration Chapel.
2018 & 2019--Parishioners from St. Stanislaus traveled to Silesia/Poland to reflect upon and explore their heritage. Msgr. Frank Kurzaj led these trips through the Fr. Leopold Moczygemba Foundation (flmfoundation.org).
2019--The Our Lady of Guadalupe grotto was constructed and dedicated—this beautiful, illuminated grotto was designed with limestone and a pointed arch to complement the gothic arches and architecture of St. Stanislaus Church.
For more information on the St. Stanislaus settlers, please visit: silesiantexans.com